Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Liberian Pumpkin 1/27/10

You may have noticed a recent trend of pumpkin recipes.

This is not because I believe the Charlie Brown's Halloween special with the Great Pumpkin changed my life (though it did - a true masterpiece). This is because DH and I bought an ENORMOUS "Fairy Tale" pumpkin at our local produce store (www.dansfreshproduce.com) in Nov. They were clearing these babies out - I think we paid 39 cents/pound! This one pumpkin could easily have weighed 25 pounds.

I now have 22 cups of pumpkin puree in the freezer (literally), and another 5 cups of cubed pumpkin (roasted before frozen). This doesn't account for the additional 6 cups of pumpkin I used in recipes this week!

Good thing 1) we really like pumpkin and 2) pumpkin is super healthy - full of anti-oxidants and beta-carotene!

Liberian Pumpkin 1/27/2010
Serves 4

$1.27 per person: Gluten-free (I don't have vegan or vegetarian option)
  • 2-3 cups pumpkin or butternut squash (peeled & chopped in 1-inch pieces)
  • 1 onion, organic (chopped)
  • hot chili peppers (chopped) or hot pepper sauce to taste (SEE NOTE)

In a large saucepan, sautee in 2 tablespoons oil until onion is translucent. Cover and cook until pumpkin is cooked, 10 minutes.

  • 1 cup chicken, beef, or vegetable broth

Add and cook for 10 minutes.

  • 1 cup browned sausage

Add and cook uncovered until liquid is absorbed. Serve with rice or noodles.

OK - so we ignored the instructions and served with polenta. Oops!

NOTE: I added a small can can of diced chilies, one chopped jalepeno pepper, and I finished with a couple dashed of hot sauce. This was a weeeee bit too hot. I recommend trying either diced chilies or hto sauce (but not both).

Recipe from Simply in Season, page 213.

No comments:

Post a Comment